Wednesday, September 28, 2011

death...a time for reflection and celebration

Chad has decided it is time to add to his resume.  Last week Chad wanted to add "dog grooming" to his list of talents.  At first it was not looking good, at all...but eventually he turned it around and it is "okay".  However, when people come to visit Kasper still requires an explanation of his cut!!! 


We had a last minute change in plans on Sunday so Charli and I had a fun date-day and went to Norfolk to see the Lion King in 3D.  After having lunch and bee-bopp'n around she was excited for the movie in 3D, even if she had already seen the regular movie.  We had a great time together...it is so nice to get to spend one-on-one time with the kids!


 I posted on facebook a few days ago about the dreaded and all too well-known "second child syndrome" that I am fostering in Harper.  He was sleeping in his "big boy bed" for three days before I finally took a picture!!  (with Charli you can go back to the original blog to see I took many pictures of the entire process!!)  Anyway, we finally got a picture!  Charli likes to climb in bed with him and read to him...he likes it too!  Speaking of "second child syndrome" I (of course, like all of us probably!!) was NOT going to fall victim to this like other moms before me have.  Nope, not me.  Number two was going to be just as important and the events would matter just as much the first time!!  Little did I know!!!  It is not that these events matter any less the second time around, it is just different because you are raising two kids of different ages.  Looking at all the second borns I know...this explains so much!!  (just teasing...for most of you!! HA ha!)  At the end of the day Haper knows he has just as much love and support has Charli ever had, and THAT is what is important to me...not the 45 pictures of the bed!  ;-)

 I had to throw this in!!  This is my friend Jen...we are mistaken for each other ALL OF THE TIME!!  This not only happens in the office but by total strangers!!  At work people think we are each other on a regular basis.  When we go places together, complete strangers will comment that we are sisters...and the kicker is when a friend of mine - who I have knows since I met Chad said "I didn't know you had another sister"!!  Ahh, Jen...I am lucky to be mistaken for you, but sorry for you luck!!

Today I attended and participated in the funeral of a very special man today.
About 25 years ago I started to realize that I only had one grandpa but two grandmas.  Dad had a friend who did the combining of his fields since I was old enough to remember, the man who did this was named Ernie.  One night, when I was about 5 years old, I was riding in the combine with Ernie I asked him if he would be my grandpa.  Ernie accepted with a smile, and probably a hug.  From then on, he was my adoptive grandpa and I thought of him as such.  As our family grew up he participated in our lives in other ways too.  He loved bowling and helped to foster that love in my siblings and even got them bowling balls!  He came to visit Chad while he was in the hospital after his accident in '99, attended my music concerts, and other events which were important to us.  Ernie would come visit for coffee in his bib overalls...always caring sweet-n-low in his front pocket, and stirring his coffee with his pliers.  I tried so hard to get him to use a spoon, which he would tell me was unnecessary because he had his own spoon with him at all times (his pliers!).  Ernie came to my college graduation, and stood proudly in our grandparents picture on our wedding day.  Ernie was a special man. 
Today my family and I followed the casket into his church where he would be for the last time.  During his funeral service I sang my final song for Ernie to hear.  I know this is something he would have very much enjoyed.  It was emotional, but important. 
Ernie loved our family, and others, he "never met a stranger".  If you were to visit his home you would see pictures of many people who were near and dear to his heart.  And, unlike many of us, he didn't just replace an old picture with a new...rather he would leave all of them up for his joy when he wanted to revisit the face of loved ones. 
Ernie just celebrated his 84th birthday.  As we celebrated the life of Ernie today, I watched my final grandparent be laid to rest.  At a full military service funeral Ernie was honored for his service to the military, remembered for his service to others, and celebrated as a great friend to many. 
Thank you for taking a few minutes to learn about Ernie.  He was very special to me, and very special to many...Rest in Peace Ernie, and thank you for all you brought into my family! 

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about Ernie! Sounds like he was a very special person in your life. He probably enjoyed and valued his relationship with you and your family more than you'll ever know. Hugs to you and prayers for your loss. xoxo.
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - you and Jen do look alike! I never realized how much!

    So sorry about your loss of Ernie. Sounds like he was a very special man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda .... you are exactly right - Ernie was a very special man. He instilled lots of common sense practices in all of us. Everytime I see someone tearing up "grassland" out west ... I think, "man this would make Ernie so mad if he saw this"!! I also use the phrase ..., "its neither here nor there" .... so often, (it makes me smile after I realize what I said )So while his time with us has past -- he lives in each one of us and the next generation,my kids called him Grandpa Ernie too. We are a lucky family to have him in our lives - he will be missed and was loved my many! Rest in Peace Grandpa Ernie. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete